Saturday, July 21, 2012

Stop-Start, Stop-Start

Is anyone else perpetually living in a "stop-start" land?  Well, in case you're not, let me explain how it works in "stop-start" land; I'm the president, my husband is the vp and the kids, well they're the citizens of our lovely land.  "Stop-start" land is my version of life right now; everyday it seems like I'm starting something, only to have to stop it- either by choice or necessity, in order to gain precious moments in my life...


"Stop-start" is like this little parasite that grows over time to become some sort of global crisis in our household, all but whisking us away, whether we like it or not.

It's why I find myself trying to make 5:30 am into a full on play session with Arden, because I just don't know if we will have the opportunity to do so later, and if we do, there's a good chance that we'll have to stop long before he's belly laughed enough.  "Stop-start" mania is also why I have 40+ drafts in my blog post section; all started but never completed.  


How and when does this cycle end?  "Stop-start" is crampin' our style right now.  The kids are entitled to long, lazy summer days with sticky popsicle hands and feet that are grey from running on driveways inked with chalky color; instead ours are getting a dum-dum and crayons at a restaurant, where they draw stuff that  ends up getting water wrinkled and ketchup splattered.


So, I'm officially resigning as president and requiring that my husband and kids do too; we're closing the door, handing the "out for lunch sign" and having the camera pan over to the tumbleweeds rolling across the landscape, 'cause sorry y'all "stop-start" land is closed.  


The only problem is, how do we do this?  I suspect it has something to do with unplugging from the outside world- can that be done these days?  Well, we're going to find out.  Next weekend, we're doing it without technology, oh, we want to go somewhere, well allow me to get out a map.  Or we need to get a recipe, well let's look at one of our recipe box, or call a mother who has an even better recipe.  That's right, next weekend, we're making "stop-start" a thing of the past... well, for at least 48 hours.







No comments:

Post a Comment