Wednesday, July 25, 2012

10 Minute Post #1

Sometimes, it takes me 2 or 3 hours to formulate a complete blog entry- I know, right?  And I realize that it may not always seem like it, considering there are grammar mistakes out the wha-zoo up in here, but trust me, I edit and re-edit and then, when no one's looking, I edit some more.  So tonight (when I'm pressed for time and don't have anything scheduled to post) I'm trying something new, a 10 Minute Post and since it's my first one, it shall be called: 10 Minute Post #1; yep, that's some good old fashioned chronological order and also the inference that there will be more to come...  


The rules are simple, I'm going to write for 10 minutes about a randomly selected topic; today's post topic was chosen by Jim and is about fashion.  

Fashion
I wouldn't consider myself qualified to talk about fashion, of course I understand what articles of clothing look good together, but most of the that is based on what different retailers, designers and advertisements tell me looks good together.  If I actually had to construct an outfit simply by conjuring up a feeling, time period or place in my mind, I couldn't do it.  In other words, genres of clothing (romantic, whimsical, rocker-chic, grunge, hippie, bohemian, etc.) are not my forte.  So, I guess that begs the question, what exactly is my forte?


Well, as a mother and a cheapskate, my passion and motto is living life with champagne taste on a beer budget; when it comes to clothes that means pulling a few random items off of the Target 30% off rack and creating something that resembles designer.


Besides my general lack of skill in the knowing the what's what (and by the who's who) of popular fashion, there's also this little habit and secret- soon not to be I guess, that I have: I'm still wearing maternity pants (I do have some dignity however, since I packed away the shirts away about 6 months ago.) and since my youngest child is almost 18 months old and I'm not pregnant, that's a little unacceptable.  


Hear me out though.  I purchased high quality maternity clothes from The Gap while I was pregnant with both of my kids because:


1. I like The Gap's maternity clothes, I find them to be the best of the best.

2. I have the unfortunate body type where I carry most of my weight all over in my mid section, which actually works great in the maternity fashion world, because once I went all elastic, all the time, I dropped like 2 sizes because the band was able to "absorb" my belly, but my legs were thin enough to fit into a smaller size.  Instant confidence booster.


So, you see continuing to wear maternity pants 18 months later is all very logical and reasonable.  These $70 jeans are going to be worn until they're patched, sewn and stained; I figure that I've got at least 2 more pregnancies and about 5 years before I officially have to "retire" them.


In general though, I'm a live-and-let-dress-how-ever-you-want type of gal.  If it fits, wear it.  If you want to reinvent yourself, clothing is a great option.


And scene.  It's been 10 minutes and that's been a blog post, now please enjoy this hilarious picture of me trying to squeeze into my cousins ballet recital costume when I was 5 years old.  Once a fashionista, always a fashionista.













No comments:

Post a Comment