Tuesday, July 17, 2012

So... I Have A Blog


Every once in a while, I inadvertently mention that I have a blog to someone that wasn't aware and it's a really weird feeling: kinda like panic, filled with pride with a dash of "it's fierce, you should read it" type confidence.

Last night, I heard Aaron Sorkin discussing his latest endevaor, HBO's The Newsroom, and it reminded me that OnDemand had a free preview of the first ep, which I watched and thought was really good.  In that ep, there was an exchange between the main character, Will McAvoy- a fictional News Reporter on a cable station, and a newsroom employee, Neal:

Neal: Take the grand canyon, make it 3 times deeper, fill it with water and then poke a hole in the bottom. You  can't just yank the pin out of the planet and that's what's happened.
Will: How do you know all of this, you're the IT guy.
Neal: I'm not the IT guy, I write your blog.
Will: Are you kidding?
Neal: I think we're in the first hours of a serious story.
Will: No- I have a blog!

That exchange literally made me  laugh out loud, because I understand how Will's character feels.  Blogs are these forums in which anyone can "publish" anything they'd like, factual or not, funny or not- and trust me, I read a lot of not so funny ones (why?!).  So, last night on my way home from work, when I heard Aaron Sorkin on NPR's Fresh Air discussing his writing style, it brought me back to that laugh-out-loud moment I had a week or two ago: blogs are so anonymous that almost anyone can have one, yet they create this feeling of intimacy that is, in my opinion, unrivaled; and that's why I read them.  Mr. Sorkin basically said that he is not his character and that he writes in order to create a beautiful sound- something I think he does very well.


That got me to thinking: I write not because I consider myself a writer, but because it allows me to do somethings that I genuinely enjoy, like:
1. Post photographs of my kids.
2. Make funny comments about the photographs of my kids.
3. Share my experience- it's clearly not perfect, but I believe that I have a good life and that's not something that I don't recognize.
4. Get to live out my dream of being a party planner by going into the nitty gritty deets of the "homemade" parties we throw.


So, just so everyone's aware, I don't consider myself a writer, but I do consider myself a lifestyle blogger.  Writers attempt to make something beautiful and I attempt to make something tolerable- and that's the biggest distinction.  However, there are some legit writers that also are bloggers, like my friend Jaime, from whom I "stole" the picture below.  She meant it and I do too, thanks for liking me in spite of my crazy, mixed up, chaotic and marginally optionally grammatically correct written blog, I'm incredibly lucky and very grateful that people continue to read and that some of those readers still consider me a friend!

via: someecards

No comments:

Post a Comment