Friday, July 6, 2012

Photo Letter Art

For a long time, I've seen photo letter art splashed across Pinterest and Etsy and I sincerely wanted to buy every single over-priced item.  However, because we're on a budget (like the rest of the world) I never splurged because I was pretty sure that I could make it for much less.  Well, I was right.  Here's how I did it.

First, I came across a "pin" that led me to the inspiration for the project.  Next, I gathered my supplies, here's what you'll need:

1. Access to the internet and a printer in order to print the letters of your choice from here.
2. Frames to put the letters in.
3. A board to mount the letters.
4. Glue to adhere the letters.
5. Paint, if necessary, to change the color of the board.
6. Hooks for the board to be hung, if necessary.

Here's what that looked like for me (please excuse the cell phone camera pictures):

1. First, I chose the letters that I wanted.  In this case, I was looking to spell my nephew's name, Joseph.  The selection that I referenced above, is fantastic.  I was literally on letter overload.

2. I googled and found out that the pixel dimensions of a 4"x6' picture, which was the frame size I had, are 432x288.  After saving the letter art, I went to PicMonkey, uploaded my photo, clicked resize, "unchecked" the keep proportions box and entered my new pixel dimensions.  (As a side note, I do pretty much all of my photo editing via this website.)  Then I re-saved my letters and printed them out.

3. Once I had them printed, I cut them to size and inserted them into the frames.

4. My husband was very kind and painted the board that I used to put the frames on.

5. I then glued the frames to the board and wha-lah, a finished product.

Here's the picture tutorial and results, including the total cost at the bottom:

I purchased these from Target, they were $7.19 for 4 frames.

The board that I used was a bargain I picked up a while ago.

The finished product.

My total cost for the project was $20.78, including the cost of the board.  I think that's pretty reasonable considering comparable pieces are going for approximately $40 on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment