Thursday, July 26, 2012

I Keep Forgetting

About once a week, I walk by certain pictures in my house and think, "I really, really freaking like that picture."  For whatever reason, these pictures (there's about 3 or 4) "get me" every time and instead of just ignoring them as I walk by, I still have a connection with them, similar to when I saw them for the first time.  It's the way someone is smiling, or the way someone isn't.  It's discovering something new in the background that I'd never noticed before, and how that someone's in the background blissfully unaware that they are part of a moment in time that I genuinely love.

Sidenote: For various reasons, I sometimes shy away from having pictures taken of myself; however, that same insecurity doesn't exist when it comes to being in the background of other people's pictures.  Sometimes, at Disney World or larger picture taking spots, I will purposely put myself into someone else's picture; not that I do anything vulgar or disrespectful, it's more symbolic.  I'm their afterthought or the stranger in the background of their favorite family snapshot; think about it, if they ever had a fire, they'd by default be saving a picture of me too.  Just think about how many pictures you've been in, ones that were taken by complete strangers, and that you've never seen.

And I keep forgetting that I want to add some of those pictures here and write about why I really freaking like them.

I like this picture of my Mom and me because, believe it or not, it's actually an old school Polaroid, not just an editing border, which means that the quality is amazing.  I literally have to pay to get lighting this good. And, most importantly, look at my Mom, she's naturally stunning. I was probably a week old and doesn't she  look fierce; after I had my babies, I looked like crap.  I was all pukey and washed out and overwhelmed, but not her, she looks totally natural- a complete beauty.  My favorite part about this is that she exudes confidence and chicness.  I mean, come on, she has the hair that I've always wanted and can never get just quite right.


What about you?  Are there pictures that you walk by every day but still have a connection with?

No comments:

Post a Comment