Friday, July 20, 2012

Questions

I once watched Diane Sawyer on Oprah's Masterclass on OWN (is that still a thing?) and she quoted Albert Einstein, quoting his father (confusing, I know, but stay with me here); Einstein said that while his family ate dinner every night, his father never asked 'what he did in school today,' but rather, 'what was the best question he asked in school today.'  This quote and the sentiment of the thirst for knowledge via asking questions really resonates with me.

I question everything and believe it or not, sometimes I question things a little too much; I can't help it though.  I love a good question, one that stops me completely in my tracks and leaves me thinking, "I have no idea how to answer that."  It serves as a reminder- I don't know everything and that's okay.

I've tried to keep Einstein and Diane Sawyer's message alive in how I choose to parent my children: be open to their questions, no matter how many they ask, because when there are questions, there's a spark. A genuine interest and wide-eyed wonder at the world around us. I am, by nature, a person who questions everything- not in like a me vs "the man" way, but in a healthy, "now why's that?" sorta way and it's served me well and I hope it will translate into something meaningful for my children.

So, to all of those parents out there, encouraging their children to ask great questions in order to really experience the world and ultimately contribute to it, keep doing what you're doing; it's going to make your babies and our world a much better place.












No comments:

Post a Comment