Monday, April 30, 2012

I Like You

Today's post is brought to you by the number 4.

Recently, my sister and her boyfriend decided to take the plunge.  They've set a date and the anticipation has started building.  I remember that feeling, it starts slowly and a few days before the wedding you're running on pure excitement.  The day comes, the party happens and then life returns to normal-- except for the new bling you're sporting.  Jim and I have always tried to celebrate our marriage especially on our anniversary.  We make it a point to talk about how we think we did with our relationship over the course of the year and try to identify what our goals for our relationship are for the coming year.

When I decide to celebrate something, I tend to over do it.  Hence the impromptu wedding dress I purchased the other day-- yes, it was 50% off and I did feel incredibly guilty for buying it, but whatever, You Only Live Once (YOLO).  I declared that our number 4 anniversary needed to be celebrated with crazy abandon and that we, for lack of a better expression, needed to "do-the-damn-thing."  For weeks, I told Jim that we were visiting friends in another state and that we needed to take the day after our anniversary off, all the while, I was planning and scheming a private little beach ceremony.

This weekend, my Dad was nice enough to watch our kids so we could steal a night away with each other, share a few moments on the beach and celebrate a not typically momentous, but equally as important, anniversary.  (I sincerely mean this, each anniversary that passes is another one that I'm truly proud of, we are making it in a time when others aren't or can't and I'm not afraid to admit that I'm proud of us because it isn't always easy.)  The pictures below are from our day at the beach, where it was just Jim and I (and the seagulls) laughing and pledging our love to one another.

**Don't worry if you don't get it.  No one in my family does.  When I jokingly said that Jim and I were going to mark the occasion by washing each other's hair in the ocean, and they believed it, I realized that what I was doing was "unconventional," but totally our style.

The sign that I made for him.  I had it all planned out, he was going to come to the back door, see the sign and be overcome with emotion. Here's what actually happened: Jim opened the door, looked my way and then immediately went into the bathroom.  There I stood, lookin' a fool.

Shock. Then anger when he realized I had totally gotten one over on him.
This.

Plus this.
Equals this.
Here's a tip when making your own bouquet: there is a reason that bouquets typically come wrapped in ribbon, floral tape is sticky.  If your fingers are sticky, you're pretty much going to feel like a two year old.
Some fancy-pants camera action.  The wrapped item was my gift to Jim.
All I said was that I chose a traditional anniversary gift to mark the occasion.

Inside was a book, which is the traditional gift for the fourth wedding anniversary.


Waiting for me.
Yes, I did walk out with the dress half zipped taking pictures of his reaction. (WHAT?!)
It would have been hilarious if he had a camera and was taking pictures of the reverse angle.

I feel like I'm channeling my Grandmother's in this picture.  So retro.
The only full length shot we have of ourselves.
Working on a budget means when you see a mirror, you gotta seize the day.


Cullen walked in while I was editing this one and said, "This one looks weird."
I kinda agree, but who cares, YOLO!, right?

4th Street beach for our 4th wedding anniversary.  I'm so punny.



Here's the present, now let me explain.
One of the most important things in our marriage is that we constantly make an effort to make sure that we like one another.  People stay together for all different kinds of reasons: kids, finances, comfort, etc.;
well, the reason I want to be with my man in fifty years is because we genuinely like one another.
I truly think this is the building block of a healthy, meaningful marriage.  Don't just love one another, like one another too! 

Us.


I heart my husband for doing this... but posting this without commenting that boy-handwriting in the sand is almost unintelligible, wouldn't feel right.

Yes, the next 3 pictures are almost the same...


Told ya' so.


According to my tweet earlier:
Yes, I do think because I have a cell phone camera , Instagram and a dslr that I'm an amateur photographer.


Did I mention that it was incredibly windy that day?

One of my favorite pictures of Jim.  Ever.


  


And now, here's a series I'm calling, Gratuitousness Pictures Of Me Jumping In A Wedding Dress.


**Please note that this is dedicated to the basketball coach that I had in 6th grade who pointed out that he didn't think I could jump.  You, Sir, can eat it!  Here's undeniable proof that both of my feet can leave the Earth's surface at the same time when I will them too!







Thanks for everything, Jim.  I like you and I love you.



2 comments:

  1. Everything about this is glorious and wonderful. I especially love that sepia-tone picture of the two of you.

    And YES -- liking someone is just as important as loving them. I was thinking about that yesterday, actually. How I'm happy hanging out in the living room with Danny. He's playing a video game, I'm reading and all I can think about is how happy I am. Just to be in the same room as this guy. Silly? Yeah...but that doesn't make it any less true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is fantastic. And you're right, that is one of the best pics of Jim ever.

    ReplyDelete