Thursday, April 5, 2012

Yes, It Has

This post is being brought to you by the number 365.

365 is significant because it's the number of days in a year.  (Except for this year because it's a leap year and that is just very confusing/annoying.)  This year, I've been doing some cleaning; cleaning house, cleaning up my personal life, cleaning out my closet, cleaning out my desk, etc. and it feels good.  I can breathe a little easier knowing that things in my life appear to be, and are: tidier.

One thing that I've never touched and never will touch in any cleaning frenzy that I work myself into are pictures.  It would pain me to throw away a picture- even the ones of me from middle school where I have so much blush on it looks like I have scarlet fever.  This is also probably why I have 1192 pictures on my phone, most of which are of my kids, epic-craft-fails, or of me posing in front of mirrors; and I cannot for the life of me delete a single one.

I'm totally serious; I feel guilty and have anxiety about deleting a single picture and in a nonsensical way, I fear that they will think it indicates that I don't care enough about them to keep that blurry/bad picture.  Therefore, I suffer with a phone that constantly alerts me that my memory is getting full and that I should probably give some things the heave.  It's easy for the "android man" to say that, but explain it to the little kid who was forced to stay still for 5 seconds because the camera is so. damn. slow.  The effort put into taking the photos should be considered when deleting them- or at least that's what I tell myself to justify not deleting anything.

Well, since yesterday was the first day that Instagram was available to us android-eys, I went buck wil' and was uploading pictures from my phone like crazy.  (More to come on this later.)  While doing so, I came across a picture of Arden sleeping, very clearly he was in my arms and it was dated 4/5/11.  Wouldn't you know it, today happens to be 4/5/12 (Ladies and gentlemen, that's what I like to call- blog magic.  Making something seem like it was done or discovered "organically," but really it was masterly crafted by the blog author.  Please, hold your applause.), making it a year to the day that the picture was taken.  So, I asked myself, has it really been a year?  All I can think is, yes, yes it has.

So, when Arden fell asleep on the couch this morning, because he got up at 4:15am!, I decided to take a picture of him as way of bringing things full circle, if you will.  It's sort of amazing how far we've all come in a year, but still experience little moments like this throughout the day that make us stop and think of memories from one, ten, twenty years ago...  not to mention, it also serves as an intermittent, positive reinforcer, which are the worst kind.

Look at my Baby Arden, then and now:


No comments:

Post a Comment