Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Monogram Thought

Recently, I purchased several items that were monogrammed (please note, that I wouldn't have gotten them monogrammed if I knew the price would go up, but c'est la via) and I hit a stumbling block when I had to enter the initials.

Here was my dilemma:

Is the middle initial actually the "big letter" and if so, that's all sorts of crazy!  Shouldn't the "big letter" be your first initial or your last initial?  But if you make your first or last initial the "big letter," then the monogram is no longer the correct order.  Seriously though, why would the middle initial be the "big letter?"  It doesn't really deserve to be the "big letter."  It is only really used:
  • when initialing something (and even then, most people omit it)
  • when you're in trouble and your parents use your full name
  • when your initials spell something with 3 letters like BAM or HAT
So, if it's only used sporadically, or more accurately, seldomly to never, why should it get to be the "star" of the letters.  I just don't get it, so AFTER I ordered my products and arranged the letters as so f= first, m= middle, l=last
mfl
I Googled and found out the rules are governed by the design of the monogram (what the what!):
  1. 1. If the letters in the monogram are all the same, using the example letters above, the monogram would appear as such: fml (which, of course would also be unintentionally hilarious).
  2. 2.  If the monogram is a fancy one (look at me, I'm orderin' fancy stuff, y'all), the "big letter" is the last name; again the letters would appear flm.
  3. 3.  If two people get married, the monogram should be written as: first initial of the man, new last initial, first initial of the woman.
Therefore, the moral of the story is: anyone receiving monogrammed gifts from me should keep their mouths shut and appreciate the gift.  Monogramming etiquette will be adopted henceforth, so as to avoid any confusion and embarrassment when my kids sport their Lands End backpacks, which, for the record, I never had, but always wanted.

Only not this one, a much, much cooler one!

No comments:

Post a Comment