Friday, February 17, 2012

I'm Following the Love

As much as I pretend to be an strongly opinionated 20-something woman, I too have my moments of bandwagoning, and nothing makes me love something more than when my kid loves it.  All too often, when I'm having an, "enh" moment, one or the other of my boys is having a heart-melting moment with one thing or another.

For Cullen that means every single pot, pan and kitchen utensil is the object of intense bargaining and begging until we finally give in and surrender our practical kitchen arsenal to his "inspired by Wolfgang" kid kitchen.  And Arden, well he's a total sucker for anything Sesame Street or musical... and anything that he can put in his mouth, like chalk, pickles that were missed during dinner clean up, paper, markers, my hair, my buttons, etc., don't get me wrong though, we're not talking My Strange Obsession- I fall in love with inanimate objects.

I guess, I find it funny that time and time again, I instantly and without abandon fall in love with most of what my children love.  I'm a follower, a total sucker for going from 0 to 60 when it comes to pleasing and appeasing my kids.  However, it should be noted, that "taste" seems like it is genetic, so in actuality, it's pretty likely that the reason I enjoy their favorite things so much is because they inherited their sense of style, music appreciation, color choice, etc. from me.  Hence the Ok Go obsession that has recently developed in our house. 

It all started the other day while I was furiously looking up Youtube videos to keep the kids interest and I stumbled upon, This Too Shall Pass and showed it to Cullen. Suffice it to say, the rest is history.  The kid loves the video and I am in love with the message.  It's a crazy world that we live in, but if you resign yourself to the knowledge that everything passes (sometimes within the hour), it makes those crazy moments so much more manageable.

So, Ok Go has my vote, best video of February in our household.  I have also downloaded the song and paraded around our new office/coloring room with Cullen and Arden proclaiming, "This too shall pass!"  And while I know they don't understand that sentiment right now, it gives me comfort to believe that one day they may listen to that song and think of me and how I told them that, "This too shall pass."


No comments:

Post a Comment