Friday, February 3, 2012

Celebrating

It's funny how time passes in the blink of an eye and all at once you're confronted with time. 

Time to settle down.
Time to grow up.
Time to get married and start a family. 

Time all too often seems to come in blurs and absolute
still.
moments.
in.
time.

Ones that are seared like pictures on my brain; every detail, vivid and vibrant.  Usually, the still moments coincide with my happiest moments, my celebrations.

I missed my calling to be an event planner.  I enjoy the meticulous details of vendors and seating charts and headsets with frantic orders bouncing back and forth between the frazzled planners.  I love the outfit planning and glamorous feeling of needing to be there.  And that's why I whole heartedly try to be there.  Be present.  And thoughtful, observing and absorbing every buffet line, conga line and laugh line.

This weekend, I had the great fortune of attending my Uncle's 60th Birthday party.  He's been such an important person in my life, imparting wisdom and comfort and generosity that literally knows no bounds.  It was more than a party though, it was a celebration.  A good ol' open bar, roasting toasting, nice ballroom celebration.  I was grateful beyond words to share this moment with him, my family and our friends.  I'm sure it partially has to do with the fact that his party just happened, but I remember almost every moment of the night; every "off the cuff" speech, screaming baby picture and smile throughout the night.

And so, with raised glasses and lots of love, we celebrated the night, his night.













No comments:

Post a Comment