Monday, February 7, 2011

A is for Arden: the before

We are very pleased to announce that Arden arrived just under a week ago and he is doing great; as are the rest of us.  I never posted about being pregnant because I have personal issues regarding sharing pregnancy news so publicly, it has a lot to do with my past experiences and one day I will write about that too; but right now, I'm ecstatic that I can share this awesome news and my story with you.  I decided to break up Arden's story into 3 parts, the before Arden arrived chapter, the day itself and everything after.

The test: I basically knew that I was pregnant before I even took any tests.  I just had a feeling, literally; I felt different and for lack of a better word, the difference was (among other things) my bitchiness level.  Since I thought for sure I was pregnant, I took a test and it was negative.  So I told Jim that we weren't pregnant because the test was negative.  The test was still negative when I took it a few days later (for some reason, I just wasn't convinced that I wasn't pregnant), so I kept testing and then testing some more.  It's a good thing that those pregnancy tests come in packs of three, because finally, on the third test, I saw what I already knew was supposed to be there: a double line.  It was faint, but it was there.  I wish now that I had done something more poignant to let Jim know that the test was positive, but I just wanted to share it with him so quickly that the moment was just organic and perfect in it's own way.  I asked Jim to come upstairs and he meet me in Wub's room.  He thought that I wanted him to move something for me, but I was holding the test and just said something like, "I'm pregnant.  Do you see the double line?"  And that was that.  Jim was shocked.  Wub was oblivious.  And I had already known, so I was comforted by seeing the line and knowing that Arden was on his way.

Movement: Since I already knew what baby kicks felt like, it took me less time to definitely say: Arden's kicking.  I was at work and I just felt this tiny little fluttering and I fell even more in love with him.  It was reassuring and lovely and magical and everything wonderful to experience all of his baby movements for the next 5 months.  And there were a lot of them.  He was so active.  Some nights it felt like he moved the entire night and I loved it.  It was so reassuring that I was able to get better sleep when he was more active.

Wub's response: Since he was only 6 months old when I got pregnant, he really didn't notice anything was different the entire time.  Only recently, like within the past 2 weeks did he start having any interaction with my belly.  He started doing something that only a mother could love.  While I would be sitting on the couch, he would come over and lift up my shirt and take his sticky baby finger and point first to the mole on my stomach and then he would jam his little finger into my belly button; hard.  At first it was so cute that I didn't really mind it hurt.  But after he continued to do it, I had to start grabbing his little finger before it made it into my belly button.

Jim: What can I say about Jim, he really is just so wonderful.  Since my pregnancies are high risk from start to finish, I am not always the most laid back, nicest person to be around.  He always makes sure that he asks me if I need anything, what he can get for me, how he can help and the list just goes on and on.  He really did take over lots of responsibility with Wubbles and made sure that my days were as easy as possible.  He is a wonderful father and I can't wait for him to teach another boy how to make a woman feel wonderful.

Happy:  I can't say it enough or strongly enough; Arden has made me so happy.  I literally am madly in love with him.  For some reason the pressure of having a newborn, just isn't as overwhelming this time around.  We have really been enjoying every minute and have spent very little time second guessing ourselves or trying to make things perfect.  I am so ecstatic to be a mother again and I thank these wonderful boys who I share my life with, because without them, this wouldn't be possible.  Literally.





I can't wait to add more to this entry as I gather my thoughts over the next few days and week, so check back in for updates!  I'm excited to share my birth story next.  I've read quite a few and they all sound so magical and very romantic (as odd as that is) but I think I have a little different perspective.  I have a csection perspective.  So I'm excited to share what really happens, I think it may surprise you. 

Thanks again to everyone who has helped, supported, cared, loved and been a part of our journey these last nine months, I literally couldn't have done it without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment