Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Brothers

When I found out I was pregnant with Arden, I immediately knew it was a boy.  However, right before it was confirmed, I started having doubts because people starting putting their two cents in on the baby's gender based on the old wives tale of how I was "carrying."  Boy= big belly.  Girl= fat ass you can tell you're pregnant from behind.  Note to everyone: if you're going to use this "scientific method" to determine the gender of a baby, only let her know if you think she's having a boy.  If you think it's a girl, there's no way to tell her without being rude; so keep your thoughts to yourself.  But when everyone kept telling me they thought it was a girl, and based on what I saw in the mirror, I too started to think maybe they were onto something.

But alas, I was right to go with my gut instinct; at 19 weeks, the ultrasound tech asked us if we could tell what we were having and without hesitating I knew that we were having a boy.  Thoughts running through my head later: Yes, another boy!  Boys are awesome; this is going to be great.  Wait a minute, what?!  So what's up with that fat ass pregnant from behind talk, coworkers?  (Random "fact", according to everyone who works in my doctor's office, girls are usually more private when it comes to giving away their gender and make you work for it; boys on the other hand are very fond of letting it all hang out for everyone to see.  Surprising?  No.) 

Reasons having another boy is awesome:

1.  I get along better with boys.  Always have, always will.
2.  Since we had lots of boy stuff we were well prepared.
3.  Having a brother who is either 14 months older or younger (respectively) would be awesome; riding the bus to school alone would be dope.  (You know my kids will be riding in the back seat, motioning for other drivers to honk their horns or wave!)

This morning when we were all hanging out and Cullen kept pointing to Arden and going "beebee," I knew that they were bonding in their own little kid way.  Can't you picture them now: raising hell in the neighborhood together or going as some famous duo on Halloween (Batman and Robin Charlie and Emilio), getting (and hiding) their first tattoos from us together or giving the roasts toasts at each other's weddings?  I can and it makes me happy; really happy. 




So, while there may not be cute boys clothes (exception: The Children's Place) and you may one day turn around while changing the one who just peed on himself to realize that the other just threw up all over himself (true story), it's worth it for these two to have one another.  Hopefully they will be not only brothers, but partners in crime (but not literally, because that'd be terrible).

No comments:

Post a Comment