Monday, February 14, 2011

Cupid is my arms not in an aisle at the grocery store

I know I have said this before, but greeting cards are lame.  Seriously, I almost never find one that is quirky and witty, sentimental but not over the top cheesy, feminine but not scrawled on knock off country wall paper.  That's why Jim and I (but really I) have a "no card" rule.  I never get cards, Jim always gets cards.  I subscribe to my Dad's school of thought; wish the person a happy (insert occasion here) give them their gift and the 2 one dollar bills that you would have spent on the card.  Awesome, right?  Everyone is much happier this way.

So, since I won't be getting Valentine's Day cards, I'm going to write each of my boys their cards here.

Dear Jim,
You should be proud of me for saving the $2.00 on a card; this thriftiness is surely a part of why you married me.  As we grow older together, we have this amazing opportunity to live our lives the way we want to, surrounded with love for one another, love for our kids, love for a cheap bottle of wine, love for "real" Chinese food and most of all an awareness that these things are blessings.  All of them.  We have had our moments of unhappiness and yet these seem to melt away because they just really don't matter.  What matters to me is you, your love and your dedication to our family.  So, you know how I'm a "list" person, well here is my list of the top 3 things you have done, just today, that have made me fall in love with you:
1. Got up at midnight and 3:00 am with the baby and let me sleep.
2. You just yelled from the other room that Hoda and Kathie was starting.
3. The genuine way you wished me a Happy Valentine's Day and gave me a big kiss while we were both standing in the kitchen in our pajamas with Arden sleeping away in his car seat and Cullen Wubbles watched from his highchair.  A perfect Valentine's moment.

I love you and thank you for loving me.
Me-Me

Dear Cullen Wubbles Baby,
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are gray, you'll never know dear how much I love you, so please don't take, my sunshine away.  I sing this to you; I desperately wish that you will remember things like this when you're older.  Your laugh is the most perfect laugh in the whole wide world.  Your fake cry is the most perfect fake cry in the whole entire world.  I hope that you will remember why it is that I put you in your Beatles shirt this morning; because in life, all you really need is love.  So it stands to reason that in my life all I need is you and your love (along with Arden and Daddy too!).
Happy Valentine's Day, Wubbles.
I love you,
Mommy

Dear Arden Little Buster Baby,
12 days ago you arrived; and 12 days ago, my heart grew.  And it's still growing.  When I look next to me and you're curled up in the car seat or look down and you're nestled in my arms; my world is perfect.  You're the reason we are a family of four and that Cullen Wubbles is a big brother; the reason we know that love isn't divided but doubled when we were blessed with another child.  You have taught me as much about love and contentment as any of the great orators, books, quotes and wise words ever have.  I adore that you're mine, not only on Valentine's Day, but each and every day.
Happy Valentine's Day, Little Buster.
I love you,
Mommy




So, there you have it.  To the three great loves of my life, to whom I owe so much and have learned so much from, thank you.  Thank you for all of it; but most importantly, thank you for the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment