Monday, April 15, 2013

The Button Speech

The time is almost here, my sister is getting married.  Her big day makes me think of my wedding, all of the stress and planning resulted in a spectacular event, surely it was one of the happiest days of my life.  By far, the most meaningful part of the day (outside of exchanging vows with my husband) was the speech my sister gave.  It's funny how extraordinary stuff seems to get mixed in with totally ordinary stuff in my house- I found her speech several weeks ago mixed in with a whole bunch of take out menus and appliance manuals, one of my most important memories had been relegated to a place in my house much less deserving than the place it has in my heart.

So, as I take the time to work on my speech, I wanted to remember and share her words to me and Jim on that day:

The Button Speech
First and foremost, I want to say congratulations to Me-Me and Jim.
May your future days together be filled with love, laughter and all of the happiness in the world.

As we all know, my sister Me-Me has a heart of gold, who will do anything for anyone.
She is always willing to listen and always gives good advice.
She puts everyone before herself in any situation.
She is the type of person who will be by your side even before you are finished saying her name.
I can still remember the time when I was about 10 years old and Me-Me and decided to go out for a bike ride down our street.
On this particular day, I happened to be wearing my favorite shirt.
It was purple and silk and I loved it.
During our bike ride, I fell off my bike and ripped my shirt.
I began sobbing and as usual, Me-Me told me that I was going to be okay.
I was crying because our neighbors had seen me fall or that Me-Me stood there laughing at me,
but because I noticed that one of the buttons on my shirt fell off.
As I walked inside the house to clean up, Me-Me had stayed behind to look for that sing button that I had lost.
Eventually, Me-Me had found the button.
Even though Me-Me hated that shirt, she was still willing to find that single button that I'd lost so that I'd have a smile back on my face.

Me-Me, our cousin Kristen and I have always dreampt of our weddings.
I remember when we were younger, we would beg our parents for the newest edition of the JC Penny catalog.
Most kids would't be asking for the catalog, but if they did, they would probably be picking out toys and clothes that they would want for the upcoming holiday.
Well not us girls...
we were picking out our future husbands, children, wedding dresses and my favorite...
household appliances.

Me-Me-
You and I have special bond that goes deeper than just being sisters.
I've always wanted to be just like you.
I mean, who wouldn't-
you're one of the most kind, most caring, funny, smart, most beautiful women I know.
No matter how upset I am you always know what to say to make everything all right.
Just like how you've been there for everyone else, I promise to be there for you forever.
I've looked up to you as my mentor, my hero, my sister, but most importantly, my very best friend.

Jim-
I've know you for the past two years, and I haven't seen my sister happier.
I don't consider you my brother-in-law, because in my heart you are more like an older brother.
Even though it's been a short time, I feel like I've known you my whole life.
I wouldn't want anyone else as a brother-in-law but you.
Keep making my big sister smile.
Welcome to the family and I love you both.







No comments:

Post a Comment