Thursday, August 30, 2012

Little Moments

Recently, I haven't had a chance to connect with my family nearly enough.  It's been all long working hours spent wishing good nights over the phone and sneaking into bed and hoping I don't disturb my husband.  To say it's been challenging is an understatement, but what makes it worth it is the little moments.  Like today when we passed a motorcycle and Cullen shouted, "Ironman!"  Or when Arden mastered the word "chef" this week- these moments stop me in my tracks and I understand that just because life is moving a million miles an hour, it doesn't mean that I'm not connecting with it.

It reminded me of this moment from the beach the other week.  My Dad and I were strategically blocking Arden from making it down a flight of steep stairs, when he decided that he'd lost interest anyways and went back to do what he does best, being extremely cute while climbing on things.  This time it just so happened that he was having these moments of purely electric joy with my Dad while I had my camera and I got some great shots.  (Climbing is literally Arden's jam.  He lights up when he's scaling almost anything- a chair, a bunk-bed ladder, his crib- and beams with pride every chance he gets.)  It captures this little moment that means a lot to all of us, Arden's at his happiest, climbing up and down, I'm at my happiest getting to spend time with my son and my Dad and my Dad is surrounded by me... so of course he's at his happiest.  And it's these moments that remind me that I've gotta make the small moments work, 'cause sometimes it's not fair, but that's all I'm going to get.

So, I'm going to do myself a favor this weekend, I'm going to string together the little moments and count the memories from them and not count the minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment