Thursday, December 23, 2010

My favorite Christmas card

I love getting Christmas cards; if they have a "newsletter" I love them even more.  When I was little, the newsletter was the thing to do and for some reason, people have gotten away from this and are now just doing photocards instead.  Which to me is boring, but I must admit that I did the same thing 2 years in a row.  I do enjoy seeing snapshots of people's children and pets; however, the newsletters are where it's at.

Recently, someone told me how she probably wasn't going to be able to get her Christmas cards out on time, but that she really didn't care.  But she seemed like she did.  So, I sympathized with her and said that I made it a priority to get ours done early, because if I didn't, they never would have went out.  She went on to say, that she really could have done them in June, because I guess nothing has changed since then.  As we continued to chat, she revealed that she was a newsletter writer and I was so surprised by this that I started gushing about my love for newsletters.  I told her how I was fascinated by what people felt was noteworthy and how I appreciated when people didn't just include the Mensa notations.  I love to read honest newsletters.  My family was one of the few families that I believed had a pretty objective letter.  We would include the typical highlights, but we also made sure to keep people posted about the more lighthearted stuff, like my Dad's speeding ticket count and when we took the wrong dog home from the kennel (it's a long story).  But her candor trumps mine.  She told me how the year her and her husband split up, she went into to all of the details of how she found out he had been having an affair for 2 years and was in love with someone else.  These are the types of letters I live for!  Don't get me wrong, I don't like reading about other people's pain or dysfunction that causes serious turmoil; however, if someone is brave enough and strong enough to put it all out there for others to read, I'm all for it.  So that's why next year, I am going to make it my goal to come up with a newsletter, an honest one. 

So, in honor of Christmas card senders everywhere, I want to share with you my favorite Christmas card so far.  When I saw it, I melted.  It's Wubbles' Christmas card from school.  I absolutely love handmade decorations, every one carries so much more meaning than a perfectly crafted store bought version.  I especially love the snowman, it's his footprint!  Enjoy...



Tree update: she's still standing.  Fingers crossed that she makes it until Christmas morning. 

Until tomorrow, goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment