Wednesday, December 22, 2010

How to Have Fun

The other day, I was looking at the binding of one of my favorite magazines and saw that one of the featured articles was called, "How to Have Fun."  Really?  I have glanced over that same magazine about 100 times and it never struck me how odd or sad that article may be. 

How to Have Fun?  Aren't there are like a million ways to have fun?  My definition of "fun" has certainly changed over the years and I feel like I could rattle off at least 100 different ways, ideas, things, places, people, items, songs, etc. that all made me have fun or contributed to it.  And that got me to thinking about how Cullen has fun. 


Cullen's toy chest

It's fascinating to watch him play.  It's so innocent and elementary in a "breath of fresh air" way.  He's not into TV shows or gadgets, games or trucks.  Occasionally, he will raid his toy chest and have everything strewn about, only to still be unsatisfied and clamoring for more toys.  What really interests me though, is when he is occupied for several minutes with the same thing, because I know he truly is playing with it because he enjoys it. 

The types of things he plays with over and over are those "things around the house" items that Jim and I see as clutter, but he simply sees them as his favorite toys.  We never recycle any of his diaper or wipe boxes, he does it for us.  He has turned them into cars, storage bins, book cases, stools, etc., etc., etc.  Cullen will take his diapers out of the box just to flip it over and push it around and cry out with frustration as it gets stuck on the carpet, or he steers it into the pack and play.  Just recently, he started playing more with actual toys.  While I am happy to see him using the presents and tokens that Jim and I, and others have gotten him, nothing warms my heart more than to see him overwhelmed with excitment when I hand him the finished wrapping paper roll.  It makes me so happy to see him try and squeeze the gianormous cardboard sword through the doorway, or hear him laugh when he slaps it on the floor.

And so, in my opinion, Cullen's definition of fun is what that article should be based on.  Taking something bound for a corner or the trash and bringing it to life with a smile and a little childish innocence.

Until tomorrow, goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment