Sunday, December 26, 2010

Doing the domestic

Jim is the cook in the family, he studies shows like Top Chef and Iron Chef America with determination and excitement.  When I was pregnant with Cullen, he literally always had at least 2 dozen chocolate chip cookies baked and stored away for me.  He knew that I had a serious cookie snack schedule, 2:00 pm and 9:00 pm.  If he showed up cookieless, there would have been hell to pay.  We have talked about his love of cooking before and he tells me that when I walk into the kitchen it gives him anxiety.  I can't blame him.  My style of cooking is way less free spirited than his.  I like to clean as I go and he's a do the dishes tomorrow type guy.  It's funny, because I do like to cook, but it has to be simple things.  The most elaborate I get is chicken pot pie.  It's delicious, but a little labor intensive, so I don't make it all that often.  One of the other reasons I don't make it all that often is because Jim commandeered the recipe and now makes it on his own.

Occasionally though, I do step it up and make some delicious things.  Desserts are kind of my forte.  Cherry cool whip pie: delicious.  Peanut butter pie: tastes like peanut butter Kohr Brothers at the Jersey shore.  I recently got recipes for some no bake cookies.  Next year, I really want to have a "cookie exchange."  (Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure cookie exchanges should also be called: middle aged woman parties where people get drunk on cheap wine.  I really, really want to go to one of these parties!)  So today, in honor of all the hard work that my husband has done and will be doing shoveling us out for the next two days, I made him peanut butter and m&m rice krispie treats.  He says they're delicious and I kind of believe him, because they smell fantastic.



Next up on my list to make: Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispy Balls (the recipe sounds awesome, but we need to work on the name).  And after that: Knock You Naked Brownies (enough said). 

It's not often that I cook, so when I do, I really enjoy it.  Hopefully, Jim will grow more comfortable having me in the kitchen.  But if not, that's ok too, because a husband that cooks is really one in a million.

Until tomorrow, goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. Four Things:

    YES! On the Cookie Swap. Particularly the part involving wine.

    You also make amazing Muddy Buddies. Seriously, those things are addictive. Oh and those cracker things with the chocolate? Holy crap, those are delicious.

    Jim is an awesome cook and makes the best spinach dip I've ever eaten.

    Knock You Naked Brownies? I don't even know what those are, but please tell me you're making them soon and that you plan on sharing.

    ReplyDelete