Thursday, March 27, 2014

Mom Blogs Are Like Dinosaurs

Has anyone noticed recently that Mom-Blogs (a.k.a. cisforcullen) are going a little... extinct?  I read a lot of crap on the internet on the daily and it wasn't long ago that I was reading crap on a lot of Mom-Blogs, but now, I'm kind of not.  Why is that?  I think it's because the DIY Blog has replaced the Mom-blog; evolution y'all.

Since purchasing our second home, I've become obsessed with decorating blogs and websites, scouring the internet for Ikea Hacks (or makeovers to the layman) and tons and tons (and tons) of DIYs.  Move over parenting tips and birth stories, I've got mason jars to chalk board paint and Pottery Barn rooms to replicate up in here.  But as I'm sure the T-Rex did, when I see my fellow Mom-bloggers falling farther from the top of the food chain, it makes me wonder how long anyone will want to keep reading blogs about kids... and more precisely, this blog about my kids.

It is true that I've done a few DIY posts myself.  I love a good DIY or make over, but not reading about motherhood would be hard for me.  One of the biggest reasons I started writing this blog was to have a sense of community, meaning that I don't have a lot of friends who are mothers, so I had to seek them out on the internet.  Once I started reading other women's stories, I didn't feel so alone.  Mom-bloggers were funny and real and sometimes they shared their heart-break; I don't know how to describe the connection I had other than saying that it felt like I was reading an email from a friend, a friend with a kid (or two or three) who was going through what I was going through in real-time.

It's not that I don't appreciate the internet for what it is: a place to figure out how to do everything from being a parent to sanding and refinishing your hardwood floor, but I've just never been part of anything that I see being "yesterday's news."  I think my crew of Mom-bloggers is probably safe for now,  cause women are still havin' babies and other women want to read about it, but it does make me wonder how long we Mom-bloggers will still be relevant.

For now, relevant or not, I'ma do this blog my way so that me and my children have the opportunity to look back on these memories and see lots of pictures of them rather than a whole bunch of painted furniture, because after all, these children are my greatest DIYs.

(Excuse the throw-back pictures of the boys, I was cleaning up my phone and wanted to share some of the photos that I had never gotten around to doing previously.)




No comments:

Post a Comment