Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Pink and Green Nursery


Since we found out that we were having a girl, it was all sorts of pink and bows and girl stuff.  I'm not "overly" girlie; however, I can hold my own when it comes to shopping for little girls.  When we moved, we immediately knew that we wanted Jameslyn's room to be the closest one to us, walking the extra steps in the middle of the night is not fun!  The room has two windows so it gets lots of natural light and was as plain as could be- white walls, white carpet, white closet doors.


I decided that I wanted to get a nice crib; read: expensive.  I searched for weeks until I found one that I liked and that was on sale.  Then I decided what bedding I wanted and the bonus was that it was on sale.  The rest of the furniture items and decor touches (not many) were all purchased either on sale or on a budget.  I haven't added up the total amount we spent on the nursery, but I will keep a total as I go along.  I will also give links to websites and specific products as much as I can. 


From day one, I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted, something beautiful, chic and vibrant.  I Google image searched the heck out of "girl nursery," "baby girl nursery," "Pottery Barn nursery," "Pottery Barn baby girl nursery,"and found one image that I really liked:


The Pink and Green Pottery Barn Nursery

This nursery is beautiful, chic and vibrant; check, check and check.  The Pottery Barn Kids website explains all the reasons that this nursery works, but one of the most meaningful reasons that I was drawn to this nursery was that my wedding colors were pink and green and so it seemed like this was the perfect room to welcome our first little girl home to.


Here's the deal, I want the Pottery Barn nursery on an Ikea budget, so I used that as the inspiration and we went from there.  Here's our little girl's room (please excuse the lighting):



Branch mobile- $0, I made this myself, sure did!
Pink shelving unit- $89.99, Ikea: EXPEDIT Shelving unit.  Please note, this line of shelving is being discontinued April 1st!  I know, anyone that is an Ikea fan is probably crying right now, these shelving units are a staple in our home (we have four) and the homes of millions, maybe even blillions, of people all around the world.
Baskets- $14.99/each, Ikea: BRANAS Basket.
Wooden rocking horse- $30, Michaels.  I tried to find this on their website, but had no luck, whomp, whomp...  We found this in the unfinished wood section and I plan on painting it some day, but I like the natural look, so I'm in no rush to do that.  I'm estimating that we paid thirty bucks, but honestly it's been a while since we bought it, so I can't really remember.



Monogram Decal- $37, Vinyl Thingz (Etsy).  No joke, we've gotten so many compliments on this decal, so it's definitely worth the money.

The crib- $399, This is all Pottery Barn, baby!  The Kendall Crib  I love, love, love this crib and the price, which I feel is competitive.

The chair- $199, This is the EKTORP JENNYLUND chair from Ikea and it's pretty amazing.  It's featured in a lot of nursery pictures throughout the internet and I know why, it's reasonably priced, it's sturdy and the slip cover is... wait for it: WASHABLE!  We have two little boys who really like chocolate and we've already washed and removed stains from the white chair cover.  We love this chair; however, the seat is pretty narrow, so be skinny if you're going to buy this or it may not be very comfortable.  I know that I feel like a giant when I'm sitting in it.
The dresser- $229 & some change, I found this dresser on sale on amazon.com during the holidays and I snapped it right up.  It's a great dresser and notice that the lines match the crib almost perfectly.  The matching dresser for the Pottery Barn crib is $569, so that's a significant savings and I love me some savings.
The pillow and pouf- $19.99 (pillow) and about $30 (pouf), I searched the Target website and I can only find the info for the pillow, which is real annoying, because the pouf is comfortable and great solution for an inexpensive ottoman.  Another good feature of the poof is that it can be thrown all around the room by older brothers and isn't going to be destroyed or cause very much destruction.



The branch mobile is a total DIY and I really should've documented the steps to making it.  Here is what you will need:
A branch
Paint samples (we legit did need the paint samples to figure out what color we wanted to paint her room, so we didn't just five-finger-discount them)
String
Glue
A circle punch like this one, which I didn't use so please either read up before you buy it or go to your local craft store
Ceiling fasteners

Here's how: I cut out circles and numbered them according to colors so that I could easily make double sided hanging pendants.  I put a large dollop of glue on the back of four circles and then placed the string in the middle.  I put the corresponding circles on top of the circle-glue-string "thing" and placed about 10lbs worth of books on top for a few minutes to make sure that the glue adhered to both sides.  I repeated this until I was bored and then assembled everything.  I know that it's not perfect and that it can never be hung over a crib or actually any surface where a baby might be, but I really like how it turned out and I'm hoping that one day Jameslyn will be happy to say that her Mama made it especially for her.





No comments:

Post a Comment