Monday, January 28, 2013

Sweet, Sweet Childhood

I can distinctly remember when my Mom commented about a child whom we all knew to be smart; she said, "Oh, they must've watched Sesame Street that show is entertaining and teaches kids all of those basic skills. You kids always loved Sesame Street." I remember thinking, I should definitely have my kids watch Sesame Street, I want them to be smart.

Over the years though, Sesame Street got eclipsed by Barney, then Baby Einstein and that adorable little dog Blue, who was always looking for clues; and I started to think, do they even still make Sesame Street episodes?  Well yes, yes they do.  

Each morning from 6:00 to 7:00 Arden and Cullen sit wide eyed, sucking up all the PBS in all of the world and I get to sit back and think, what a sweet, sweet childhood this is.  To be so fundamentally influenced by a television show that teaches not only educational basics, but also emotional skills such as kindness, respect, love, etc. is how this show works at it's best... at it's worst, it's an Elmo headline splashed across Radaronline.  (How sad, right?)  But putting that aside, I am certain that there will be an opportunity for someone to ask my children when their older if they watched Sesame Street and before they get a chance to answer, I'm going to jump in and be like, "yes, yes they did.  Every morning from 6:00 am to 7:00 am and I find that they're pretty smart because of it, don't you?"  (And watch, those two will probably bust out some lesson they learned from Sesame Street about interrupting people or something...)




No comments:

Post a Comment