Tuesday, March 20, 2012

When to Push it

Recently, my once fearless little head chef has become a timid little line cook, not that there's anything wrong with that.  As a parent, I think it is my responsibility to take calculated risks when it comes to encouraging my cubs to participate in things; I'd never intentionally prompt them do something that would make them have nightmares, but when I think they're missing out, I'm gonna push.  And it just so happens, we had one of those, whether to push or not?! moments the other day.

One of Cullen's newest sayings is, "it's too scary for me!" which, as a fray'd-cat myself, I can relate to.  Bungee jumping- no thanks.  Skydiving- I'll pass.  High Dive- that scares Mommy!  But if it's a pretty mundane activity that I have no reason to fear, I'll push myself.

So, that's what I decided to do the other day at the park when Cullen was adamant that everything was, "too scary for me!" I decided that he was going to try it, he may not like it, but by golly, he's going to try it.  And just as I had suspected, he liked everything that he reluctantly went on.  The Swings (which he used to enjoy)- loved it.  The Big Boy Slide- conquered it.  That Big Rock- climbed it.

I guess this is par-for-the-course of parenthood.  Your kid says no I can't and you remind them that, yes, in fact, you can; and maybe, just maybe, those can't moments turn out to look something like this:





No comments:

Post a Comment