Friday, March 8, 2013

My Grandpa's Style

I have seen this picture before.  Apparently, old school picture organization came in the form of rolodexes and we are lucky enough that my Dad's parents were picture loving people- I surely get this from them.  So, this means that we have pictures upon pictures, some from meaningful occasions and other randoms that were just "because" shots- I'm thinking this is a just because shot.

Recently, I've been obsessed with Macklemore's Thrift Shop, which is not appropriate for small ears, so don't Google it while they're around.  But there's a lyric that really hits me and makes me think of this picture

I'ma take your grandpa's style, I'ma take your grandpa's style,
No for real- ask your grandpa- can I have his hand-me-downs?
Velour jumpsuit and some house slippers

I can't help but think about this picture, taken in 1970, 43 years ago and how it's still relevant today.  I also can't help but think that I come from a long line of people with tons of swagger- we're confident and cool; velour jumpsuits are part of that look, y'all.  So next time that I'm feeling down and thinking that I'm not as hip and cool as I used to be (and yes, at one point I was very cool), I can remember this: one day, my grandchildren will hopefully be listening to a popular song and be like, "that reminds me of my grandma; she's one cool gal."


No comments:

Post a Comment