Saturday, December 31, 2011

More than a Picture

Today, as we were on our way to a birthday party, I spotted this:





It was actually really beautiful, but this picture doesn't do it justice (crappy phone!).  I've seen this type of event before, but this time it seemed altogether more poignant: a foreshadowing of beautiful things to come in 2012, if you will.

So, in the interest of becoming informed, I Googled:
What is it called when light comes through clouds in rays

And like the over worked and under paid secretary that Google is, she knew what I was talking about; they're called Crepuscular rays and they're kinda fabulous.  There's 20 different names for them, my favorites being Jesus beams (think of every picture of Jesus, he's totally rockin' Crepuscular rays, hardcore) and Ropes of Maui, which is based on a story about tying ropes around the sun to make the days longer.

And this makes me think, if they're meaningful enough to have legendary tales assigned to their existence and the most famous religious icon in the world is perpetually bathed in them, I'm pretty sure it's ok for me to believe that what happened today was just a little more than beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment