Thursday, February 13, 2014

She's Here And Right On Schedule

Jim and I knew after we had Arden that we wanted more kids; yes, plural.  When I found out last June that I was pregnant, I was delighted-ecstatic-over-the-moon-thrilled-beyond-all-belief-happ-happ-happiest-girl-ever!  (Is it weird that even after three kids, I still refer to myself as a girl; pretty sure I should be calling myself a woman or mother by now, right?)

For everyone's entertainment, I will now fake interview myself with all of your burning questions about what's been going on with me and sweet baby J:

Were you trying for a girl?  Uhm, no.  I get asked that question a lot.  Like a lot, a lot.  To be honest, I really don't understand the premise of "trying for" one gender or the other.  I actually thought that I'd most likely have all boys; from what I've read, after you have a boy, it's statistically more likely that you will have a second one and so on.

How much weight did you gain?  60 lbees (I wrote that all cute so that it stings less).  Honestly, I'm not even sure why I gained so much weight.  With both of the boys, I gained 40 lbs, to-the-pound.  But with sweet baby J, I just couldn't believe how high and fast the scale crept up.  Now, the hard work starts.  I'm giving myself a few weeks to fully recover before I attempt to get back in shape; realistically though, it's gonna be a while.  It took me two years to lose all of the weight from Arden, so I'm thinking that if this 60 drops in 6-9 months that would be absolutely reasonable.

How do you feel?  I felt great pretty much the entire pregnancy.  I never have had morning sickness or some of the other more difficult pregnancy day to days.  I did reinjure my back when I was five months pregnant.  I immediately called my acupuncturist and started treatments.  After two weeks I was almost completely without pain.  If you have any kind of back issue, I highly recommend that you research acupuncture and then make an informed decision about getting treatment.

You had a c-section, right?  Yes, yes I did.  I've had someone tell me that c-section deliveries are a piece-oh-cake; that I just lay there and that the doctor does all the hard work.  Obviously, this person is partially kidding... I think and we are family, so I can tell them to, "shut the hell up!" but c-sections are rough, especially if it's your first one.  The actual procedure is pretty much ok; listening to people having conversations while they are performing surgery on you is a little surreal, but if you have complete confidence in your doctor, then it's not that bad.  I happen to love my doctor.  He's funny and charming and old school and listens to me; it's kinda like eharmony matched us up for completely (and clearly) non-romantic reasons.  Were a good team, Bill and I; I silently freak out and he distracts me with other stories and information that is both reassuring and completely irrelevant.  Here are a few things that I forgot about the c-section recovery that I had forgotten, but have come back to me like whoa:

The following things are going to hurt... A LOT: sneezing, laughing, throwing up, coughing and blowing your nose; I've done all of these over the last several days and my advice would be to just "man up" and do it and get it over with.

Recovering after the third one is easier than the second is easier than the first.

Don't believe what they tell you; taking the bandage off of the incision hurts more than a bandaid.

And the catheter, that hurts like a bitch too.

All I can say is, manage your pain well, Ladies; manage it well.

Why not update everyone on the blog?  I purposely chose not to say anything.  Of course my friends and family were aware; however, I'm just not brave enough to put that type of personal journey out there- yet.  I have Type 2 Diabetes, which makes me High Risk, because of this, I have to take injectible insulin several times a day, test my blood sugars several times a day all while being monitored by an Endocronologist, my regular OBGYN and a High Risk OBGYN.  I plan to expand more on the particulars of my pregnancy and my experience with Diabetes; I think it would be helpful for people to know what it's really like; hard, but completely worth it.  For these reasons, I chose not to say anything, but rather share the good news of her birth and do some retrospective posts.

Is she a good baby?  I don't want to brag, but yeah, she is a wonderful baby.

Cullen asked me this frequently, "Why is your hair black and blonde?"  When I asked my doctor, whom I love, about dying my hair while I was pregnant, he didn't totally give me the green light.  I obviously know that there is very little risk associated with dying your hair while you're pregnant, but since he made a valid point- studies about pregnant women who dye their hair don't exist, so there's no way of knowing how safe it is, and my contention that "celebrities do it all the time" didn't really convince him to change his opinion, I decided to wait until after she was born to get my hair dyed, in fact, Mama is going tonight to get her hair done; Mama needs to look nice for Valentine's Day.

Is this your first baby?  Do other people get this question a lot?  Frequently, because that's how often I go to the doctor's, people who were unfamiliar with me would ask me if this was my first child.  I would politely say, "no," and leave it at that, but almost always they would then reply, "second?"  I'm partially flattered, do I look so young as to just be having my first child?  But I'm also curious to know why it's automatically assumed that you're having your first.

Jameslyn?  Jim and I started talking about names the night we found out I was pregnant; for me, this is  one of the best parts of the pregnancy, for Jim it's a lesson in patience with me.  One day we have a name, the next day the name is crap.  Ultimately, he is very open to all suggestions and usually willing to go along with what I want, which is great, because I think that all of the names I've picked are awesome.  Jameslyn's name was created from Jim's real name, James and my real name Madalyn.  Originally, we were going to name her Jamesleigh, but my Dad suggested Jameslyn and we liked that name much better.  Now we just need to come up with a cute little nickname.

Looking forward to sharing more information about High Risk Pregnancy, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment