Monday, October 21, 2013

Front Yard Sports

There are times when I feel terribly guilty for not doing things for my children; already, I'm thinking that I should have signed Cullen up for fall Soccer, or T-Ball or some sort of sport and that now his life is not well-rounded because of my ineptitude.  Breathing.  Breathing.  Breathing.  Then I tell myself, there's nothing wrong with holding off until he's a little older and in the meantime, he can learn some of the fundamentals from us.

Here are some of the fundamentals I'm trying to teach him about playing soccer:
1. No pushing/shoving.
2. Don't fall down anytime some comes near you with the ball.  Physical comedy is kind of his jam right now.
3. Kicking is done with the feet, not the hands.

What I learned after watching about 20 minutes of the impromptu soccer game is that just because I didn't sign him up for organized sports doesn't mean that I should be selling him or us short; front yard sports are just as good as the real deal.  Actually, they might be more fun; no rules, no lines, just kids being kids.  And get this, he's kinda good.  He's certainly fearless about approaching someone for the ball and his confidence in his skills is awesome; to him and me, he's the world's greatest.









No comments:

Post a Comment